Education programs for those caring for loved ones with Alzheimer's
Most of these programs, described below, are free of charge.
What Now? Caregiver Orientation Series
Caring for someone who has Alzheimer’s disease or a related disorder is perhaps one of the biggest commitments a person can face. It’s one filled with emotional stress and hard work that can also be meaningful and rewarding. While Alzheimer’s disease usually begins gradually, it eventually causes people to become unable to care for themselves. As a result, the role as a caregiver may mean making significant life adjustments. There will be many demands on time and energy. This is a time to look at what responsibilities can be shared with others and to develop a support network that includes family, friends, outside sources and the Alzheimer’s Association Aloha Chapter.
Classes are designed to provide information and allow for guided group discussion and sharing in a one hour period. The series will be scheduled throughout the year so caregivers can elect to select the training that is most needed at the time and pick up the other classes later in the year, or take the complete 8-week course:
- Alzheimer’s Educating Yourself About the Disease: A comprehensive guide to understanding Alzheimer's disease and related disorders
- Putting Legal and Financial Affairs in Order: How to begin with the legal and financial issues
- Learning to Manage Challenging Behaviors: How to approach some of the more challenging care situations that arise
- Taking Care of Yourself: How can I cope while I care for my loved one?
- Hiring and Managing In-Home Caregivers: Introductions to homecare planning and management
- When Is It Time to move Our Loved One into a Facility? Steps to take when exploring residential facilities
- Communication: Tips on ways to improve communication with someone who has Alzheimer's disease or dementia.
- Wandering: Causes, Coping, Strategies and Tips
For more information, please contact one of our offices:
Aloha Chapter Headquarters, Oahu Office
1050 Ala Moana Boulevard, Suite 2610
Honolulu, Hawaii 96814
1055 Kino'ole Street, Suite 103
Hilo, Hawaii 96720
4303 Rice Street, Suite C2
Lihue, Hawaii 96766
(serving Maui, Molokai and Lanai)
270 Ho'okahi Street, Suite 311
Wailuku, Hawaii 96793