Be prepared for severe weather and hurricane season in South Carolina!
Do you have a plan ready in event of weather-related emergencies? The Alzheimer's Association is here to help caregivers take measures to prepare for and cope with these extraordinary circumstances.
Call us 24/7 at 1.800.272.3900
Alzheimer's Association Helpline staff can provide counseling and support to help families plan for emergencies.
Prepare an Emergency Kit:
Be sure to pack:
- Copies of important documents, such as legal papers, a list of medications and dosages, and insurance information
- Several sets of extra clothing
- Extra medication
- Incontinence products
- Identification items, such as a MedicAlert® + Alzheimer's Association Safe Return® ID bracelet and clothing labels
- A recent picture of the person with dementia
- Bottled water
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Favorite items or foods
- Extra batteries for hearing aids, extra eyeglasses, etc
- Learn more about disaster preparedness for caregivers to help you keep you and your loved one safe during an emergency. Download these tips in PDF version.
- Enroll your loved one in MedicAlert® + Alzheimer's Association Safe Return®, our 24-hour nationwide emergency response service for individuals with Alzheimer’s or related dementia that wander or who have a medical emergency.
- Download The Calm Before the Storm: Family Conversations about Disaster Planning, Caregiving, Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia, a comprehensive natural disaster planning guide specifically created for caregivers, families and friends of those with memory disorders. This publication is produced by the MIT AgeLab and the Advance 50 Team of gerontologists at The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. It offers new research and life-saving tips to help caregivers, family and friends of those with Alzheimer’s disease who live at home prepare for a natural disaster and get their lives back on track in the aftermath.
South Carolina Local Resources:
Alzheimer's Association - South Carolina Chapter:
LOCAL ALZHEIMER'S ASSOCIATION OFFICES MAY CLOSE IN DANGEROUS WEATHER CONDITIONS, BUT OUR HELPLINE IS AVAILABLE 24/7 AT 800-272-3900.
South Carolina Emergency Management Division:
Includes the SC Hurricane Guide, evacuation routes, shelters, current road conditions and more.
Web site: http://www.scemd.org
County Emergency Management Divisions:
Includes phone numbers for each county.
Web site: http://www.scemd.org/who-we-are/county-agencies
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
Web site: http://www.fema.org/
American Red Cross
Web site: http://www.redcross.org/