Memory Cafés provide opportunities for persons diagnosed with early stage memory loss and their care partner(s)/family to engage with peers in a relaxed, unstructured environment. The café atmosphere promotes social engagement and support through interaction with others experiencing similar lifestyle changes.
These social gatherings may include conversations about coping with memory loss, recent vacations, careers, hobbies—basically whatever participants want to share with each other.A representative from the Alzheimer’s Association will be in attendance but the café is not a facilitator driven program.
Participants in the Memory Café must:
- be diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment, early to middle stage Alzheimer’s disease or a related memory disorder
- have been told of their diagnosis and acknowledge their memory loss
- understand the purpose of the program, express interest and willingness to participate
- have no other medical conditions or serious mental illness which might put him/her or others in the program at risk
- be a care partner (family or friend) attending with the person diagnosed with the disorder (care partners are not required to attend but are welcomed
Charlottesville Memory Café
Where: Sweet Haus
929 2nd St. SE
Charlottesville, VA 22902
When: 1st & 3rd Mondays of each month
Time: 2:30pm -3:30pm Drop-in
Culpeper Memory Café
Where: Country Cookin'
247 Southgate Shopping Center
When: 2nd Wednesday of each month
Time: 2:30pm - 3:30pm Drop in
Fluvanna Memory Café
Where: Fluvanna County Library
214 Commons Blvd, Palmyra, VA
When: 3rd Wednesday of each month
Time: 3:00pm - 4:00pm
Lauren Deasy Blackshaw, email@example.com or 434-973-6122 ext. 8506.
Harrisonburg Memory Café
Where: Mr. J's Bagels & Deli
1731 S. High St.
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
When: Second Tuesday of each month
Contact Lauren Deasy Blackshaw at 434-973-6122 ext. 8506 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Roanoke Memory Café
Where: Panera Bread Tanglewood
4202 Electric Road
When: 1st Wednesday of each month
Time: 10:00am – 11:00am Drop-in
For additional information on Memory Cafés contact:
Lauren Deasy Blackshaw
434-973-6122 x 8506 or email@example.com